Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Dreaming of Hawaii...


This is the first year in four that I didn't get to Hawaii and I am definitely feeling island deprived (although I do have a Bali trip coming up soon :D). So this was my latest project to help me fill the void - working up a longboard skateboard deck. If I can't go to Hawaii, I will uproot it and bring it to me! This is the finished deck...clear grip tape was applied to the top. Gullwing 10" charger trucks and 68mm Seismic Avilia wheels...rides like a 8ft longboard out at Tungs, Diamond Head SWEET! I am stoked with the result just wish I could keep it for myself!!




The maple and bamboo ply deck came pre-varnished with sand glassing on the top. I spent the good part of a day scrapping and sanding it off to start fresh. Bamboo is such a dense wood with a waxy coat so eventually I had to resort to the power sander. I stained the top and bottom and then used a stain varnish on the top of the deck to achieve the 'rising sun' pattern. The palm tree design on the bottom was done with permanent marker and then a spray varnish was applied.



No comments:

Post a Comment